Natural fiber rugs, what’s not to love? They’re beautiful, warm and textural, they’re also a great eco-friendly alternative to synthetic fiber rugs. Today we’ll be taking a look more specifically at hemp rugs, hemp rug benefits and the 7 reasons why we think you should seriously consider investing in one today. Ready? Let’s begin!
1. Hemp rugs are long-lasting and highly durable
According to Rug Sage, hemp is the strongest of all natural plant fibers making it perfect for high traffic areas.
2. Hemp rugs wear-in rather than wear-out
Multiple sources suggest that hemp fibers soften over time and actually become stronger with wear.
3. They’re water-tough and mildew-resistant
Hemp rugs are mildew-resistant and their fibers do not deteriorate when wet (unlike other plant fibers) – making them great for kitchens and bathrooms.
4. Organic look and feel
A hemp rug can add beautiful warmth and much needed texture to any space.
5. Hemp rugs are perfect for layering
Flat weave hemp rugs offer the perfect neutral base for layering.
6. Anti-bacterial properties
Hemp fibers are naturally hypoallergenic with anti-bacterial properties, similarly, they’re naturally resistant to mold and ultraviolet light. Win-win!
7. Hemp rugs are eco-friendly and sustainably made
Finally, hemp rugs are not only eco-friendly, they’re also biodegradable and sustainably made.
Numerous sources claim that the hemp plant itself actually has very low water requirements (compared with plants such as cotton) and due to the nature in which it grows, is largely pesticide-free.
Hemp is also extremely versatile in terms of growing conditions and actually produces far more fiber per acre than plants like cotton, making it a great choice for the environmentally conscious and those with a focus on sustainable living.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase through any of these links, I may make a small commission (at no additional cost to you). Thank you for supporting this blog.
Where to buy:
- Metallic Suede & Hemp Rug – Serena & Lily
- Gonzalez Hand-Woven Aqua Area Rug – Wayfair
- Black/Gold Geometric Tufted Area Rug – Target
- Rhodes Rug in Cream/Chocolate – One Kings Lane
- Jansen Denim & Hemp Area Rug – Wayfair
- Bardia Hemp Rug in Teal – One Kings Lane
- Scarborough Hemp Rug in Gray – One Kings Lane
- Hand-knotted Vegetable Dye Chunky Beige Hemp Rug – Overstock
- Hemp Rugs and Floor Coverings – Rug Sage
- Natural Fiber Rug Guide – One Kings Lane
- Natural Fibre Rugs – Miss Amara
- Hemp Textile Properties – Hemp Traders